Diet has no Effect on Weight Loss
When it comes to losing weight, the number of calories you eat, rather than the type of carbohydrate, May be what matters most, according to a new study.
The concept of glycemic load is based on the fact that carbohydrates have different effects on blood sugar. White bread and potatoes, for example, have a high glycemic index, meaning that they tend to cause a rapid rise in blood glucose. Other carbohydrates such as cereals high in fiber, and beans to create a more gradual change and are considered to have a low glycemic index.
The results, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, suggest that diets low in "glycemic load" are no longer to take the books that most traditional - and more carbohydrate-friendly - approaches to reduce calories.
The measurement of glycemic load takes things a step further by considering not only one of the glycemic index of foods, but the total number of carbohydrates. A sweet juicy fruit may have a high glycemic index, but it is low in calories and grams of carbohydrates. Therefore, it can fit into a diet low in glycemic load.
However, the effort to understand what is allowable carb might not be punishment if the new study is an indication.
Principal investigator Dr. Susan B. Roberts, Tufts University, Boston, and colleagues found that reduced calories, while the glycemic load is high or low, has been effective in helping overweight adults shed 34 pounds in a year.
Study participants who followed a low glycemic load food lost approximately 8 percent of their initial weight, as well as those with a high-glycemic load diet.
"The bottom line is that in this study, we do not see a single way of eating that is best for weight loss, on average," Roberts told Reuters Health. Of course, this does not mean that "anything goes" as long as you cut calories. "
A super-sized portion of fries is not any good dieter, she said.
The two regimes of his team used in the study were carefully controlled. For the first 6 months, participants were provided with all the food they need, and the two schemes were designed to reduce their calories by 30 percent while providing the recommended amount of fiber, reduce fat in healthy foods and encourage such as fruits and vegetables.
The comparability of results suggest that between a healthy diet, not one stands out as better, according to Roberts. Thus, emphasis should be placed on calories rather than foods to avoid or include.
"Focusing on calories is something we need more, especially when portion sizes are so absurd," said Roberts, referring to the party has served in many restaurants in the United States.
This does not mean, however, that there is no room for plans that focus on glycemic load, according to the researcher. Some studies, for example, found that low glycemic index foods may help control blood sugar in people with type 2 diabetes.
And in their own research, Roberts said she and her colleagues found that low glycemic index schemes seem more effective for overweight people who naturally secrete high levels of the hormone insulin that regulates blood glucose.
You may also be interested in:
Cut Down on Calories, Especially in the Evening Obesity and overweight have
What will you find in this Guide? The goal of our Online Guide to Allergies and
Eating four or more apples a week during pregnancy appeared to lower the risk
In fact, a kind of apple cider vinegar is just vinegar, while the use of
Each year, thousands of Canadians promise to quit smoking. Nicotine patches,
Too much sleep you do not want to appear evil, but in reality the average
- Most Read
- Most Discussed
- Most Emailed
- Symptoms of frontal lobe tumor
- How to treat verruca plana
- Holding back urine harm
- Gargle salt water can kill bacteria
- Etiology of leukemia
- The impact of sex life on the gout
- The performance of genital ulcer
- Temporal lobe tumor
- Sleeping too much condition is called hypersomnia
- Liver cyst is a relatively common benign liver disease
Best of tcmwell.com
Three Mistakes of Eating Habits Misunderstanding One: drink chicken soup to
The Mongolian and Tibetan medicine is deeply influenced by the Tibetan Buddhist
lipeigang Physician lipeigang Physician lipeigang Physician lipeigang Who are
Among the types of minority Chinese medicine, systems theory of Tibetan,
The concept of glycemic load is based on the fact that carbohydrates have
Many women from the Baby Boomer generation are experiencing (or rapidly
- is it normal for the testes to hang in between a man's legs
- Is this a normal penis behavior?
- How to resolve constipation
- How can Healthy Weight Loss?
- How to treat gastric ulcer
- Gastric cancer patients to eat?
- How to care for patients with H1N1
- What is the reason for infertility
- Impotence causes
- Cause stomach pain reasons
- This is a urethral stones do?
- How treatment of stroke ?
- I do not know what the reason for feet of swollen?
- Irregular menstruation should be how Conditioning?
- Finger joint pain is not arthritis?
- Chinese Medicine Treat Depression
- Influence of Buddhist culture
- Fruit Juice,Friend or Foe
- Indoor Smoking Bans
- Rich Resource of Zhuang Medicines
- Five storing & six excreting vicera
- Herbs and Human Health
- Acupuncture Anesthesia Child Gives New Chance
- Children how to protect the vision
- Spider Venom Cures Male Impotence
- Good methods of slimming leg
- Drinking Heavy Amounts Of Alcohol
- Fat Cells of Obesity
- The secret life of chocolate
- The Best Foods To Be Taken During Menopause