"Beyond Botox" suggests eating fruits and vegetables rich in vitamins and antioxidants, including broccoli, cantaloupe, collard greens, kale, peppers, strawberries, tomatoes and blueberries. Nuts such as pecans, walnuts and hazelnuts also are good for the skin, according to the book.
"The vast majority of skin aging is due to environmental factors," Ben Kaminsky said. "That's controllable with proper nourishment, proper rest, proper sleep and knowing what to use on your skin."
"There's no one special food that will save your skin," Kaminsky said. "There's a mixture of things you can do."
As for salmon and other fish, they might offer health benefits such as omega-3 fatty acids, but Kaminsky warns people to be wary of any salmon-based diets. Because of the risk of mercury and other toxins in fish and shellfish, he recommends eating seafood in moderation.
That mixture includes regular exercise at least 30 to 40 minutes a day, five days a week. Not smoking also is a factor in keeping healthy-looking skin. So if you do smoke, quit. Smoking restricts blood flow to the skin and impairs the regeneration of collagen fibers, Kaminsky said. The habit also can cause yellowing of the skin.
Although some of the products used in the facial can be costly when bought individually ¨C the anti-aging moisturizer retails for $130 for a 2.2 oz jar ¨C Harris said a tiny amount per application was all it took to be effective.
"Most people use too much product," she said. "They need to use a pea-size amount, press it into the skin first, and then massage."
As I sat up on the table and touched my skin, it did feel more smooth, firm and supple. When Harris showed me my face in the mirror, I seemed to glow.
But although pampering and skin-care products help us look and feel great, they can only do so much without proper diet, exercise and other healthy choices.
"This works together with maintaining a healthy lifestyle," Harris said. "If you still indulge in things that are known to accelerate the aging process, then just getting a facial's not going to do a lot of good. It's not going to give you the longer-lasting effects you're looking for."
Cosmetic skin treatments
1. Chemical peels ¨C A chemical solution is applied to the skin to remove the aged, discolored, and/or irregular outer layers.
2. Wrinkle fillers ¨C Fillers are injected or surgically placed into the skin to reduce wrinkles, furrows, and hollows in the face.
3. Microdermabrasion ¨C A procedure in which special instruments abrade and rub off the top layers of the skin, smoothing the skin's surface.
4. Non-ablative skin rejuvenation ¨C Treatments for aging skin that work by delivering pulses of light to affected areas without creating a wound and with minimal down time.
5. Botulinum toxin ¨C Carefully injected into the skin by dermatologists in very low doses, botulinum toxin paralyzes the affected muscle to soften frown lines, crow's feet, and other wrinkles.
¨C Source: Dr. Ashish Bhatia, dermatologist at River North Dermatology & Dermatologic Surgery, DuPage Medical Group, Naperville
1. Eat a well-balanced diet of foods high in antioxidants, and drink plenty of healthy fluids to stay hydrated.
2. Exercise regularly, and remember to wear sun protection with an SPF of at least 15 when exercising outdoors.
3. Get plenty of quality sleep to help rejuvenate the skin.
4. Have a consistent skin-care routine based on your skin type. This includes cleansing,
toning and moisturizing. Adding a night cream to the regimen can make a difference.
5.Pamper yourself with a trip to the spa, or create the spa experience at home with
candles, soothing music and a soak in the tub.
6. Don't smoke. Smoking restricts blood flow to the skin and impairs the regeneration of collagen fibers.
Source: Ben Kaminsky, co-author of "Beyond Botox: 7 Strategies For Sexy, Ageless Skin Without Needles or Surgery."
Beyond Botox Facial Treatment at Mario Tricoci
Intended effect: Activate cellular repair, fight oxidation, restore hydration, promote exfoliation, decrease inflammation and increase photo projection. Aids in tissue repair, reduction in the appearance of fine lines and improvement of skin tone and texture.
What's included: Clients receive hand and face massages and a complimentary makeup service.