Do you need to practice the energy-releasing exercises even if you are just looking for the health benefits of Taiji and should you stamp your foot on the floor in the form during the practice?
A: Yes, it has great benefits for your health. Taiji is considered Yin and Yang. The balance and change between Yin and Yang are the key points of the philosophy of Taiji. Any exercises without Yang or missing Yin, are not a complete set of exercises and the benefits will be reduced. The energy-releasing movements, in particular, can help your body relax and free all the blockages remaining within your body, as well as making your body fitter. Of course, the intensity of the energy-releasing will be adjusted according to the individual's level of fitness.
The stamping movements in the form help remove blockages and flushes the Qi energy running over the top of your head, the Baihui point. However, for the beginners and people who have weak knees, it is not always suitable at the beginning stages. Gradually build up to stronger energy releases.
What are the key requirements for releasing energy?
A: Energy release is a very important part of Taiji training in Chen Style. It has great benefits for your practice, however, there is the potential risk of damaging your body's joints and accidentally blocking your internal circulation
if you do it incorrectly. So, the following are the requirements for practitioners to remember.
1) Relax your body and start with soft and gentle movements.
2) Root yourself on the ground properly.
3) Use your waist as a central axis.
4) Limbs are led by your waist and the strength starts from both feet, passes into both of your legs, then distributes to the shoulder and finally reaches both your fists for the strike.
5) Free your breath and let it go with your energy release at the same time.
6) Do not use stiff strength at all.