Precious Herb 'Tin Ma' Fights Depression
The study will be published in the American Journal of Chinese Medicine.
Depression is a common psychiatric disorder with a high morbidity and mortality rate. The pharmacotherapy used in clinic today is not suitable for all patients and causes certain side-effects. Thus, looking for alternative treatments with antidepressant effect and minimal side-effect is important.
Gastrodia elata Bl. (tin ma,) is a famous Chinese traditional medicine used for centuries.
What is Tin Ma? The earliest account of tin ma was recorded in Shennong Bencao Jing ("The Herbal Encyclopedia of Shennong"), which is considered the oldest Chinese medicine text in history. The name(s) of author(s) have been lost through time but the book is believed to be at least 2200 years old.
The encyclopedia lists tin ma as being able to "treat aching of the brain"and to "calm one's emotion" and to help people sleep. In modern times, tin ma has been used to treat hypertension, dizziness, headache, and somatic paralysis to name a few. Tin ma is also considered to be anti-epileptic, anti-arthritic with the abilities of calming emotions (and thus depression) and soothing pain.
It is mainly produced in Sichuan, Yunnan and Guizhou provinces. Other producing regions include Northeast China and North China. Nowadays, wild tin ma is rare and its prices are dear. Tin ma farms are abundant in China.
The present study tested the anti-depressant effect of tin ma extract on rats that went through the forced-swimming test. Rats were fed with tin ma extract or fluoxetine (Prozac).
What is forced-swimming test? It's a behavioural despair test used to measure the effect of antidepressant drugs on the behaviour of laboratory animals (typically rats or mice).
Animals are subjected to two trials during which they are forced to swim in an acrylic glass cylinder filled with water, and from which they cannot escape. The first trial lasts 15 minutes. Then, after 24-hours, a second trial is performed that lasts 5 minutes. The time that the test animal spends without moving in the second trial is measured. This immobility time is decreased by antidepressants.
The results indicated that the duration of immobility was significantly decreased in rats fed with tin ma extract. However, the concentration of serotonin, the "happy hormone", and 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid and their ratio in frontal cortex, amygdala, and hippocampus were not significantly different between the tin ma and the control groups.
Nonetheless, tin ma significantly increased dopamine levels but decreased the concentration of 3,4-dihydroxyphenylacetic acid (which metabolizes L-DOPA, a precursor of dopamine) and decreased dopamine turnover in striatum in the brain compared to the control.
You may also be interested in:
Chinese herbal medicines are used internally and externally. For both types
Cascara sagrada was historically introduced to Europeans by Eli Lilly Company,
Ashwagandha is a shrub that flourishes in India and North America . The roots
Called Chinese angelica , Angelica Root , and Dong Quai , this plant helps to
Ginseng contains nitrogenous compounds, minerals, vitamins, soluble in fat, and
Elm trees native to the Appalachian Mountains of North America . Wash the skin
- Most Read
- Most Discussed
- Most Emailed
- Add rock sugar green tea can ease sore throat
- Arnica to minimize inflammation, ease muscle pain
- Health Benefits of Ashwagandha
- Reishi Mushroom and Green Tea , Cancer Prevention
- Drink chrysanthemum tea can Reduce Pathogenic Fire
- Drink chrysanthemum tea not sugar
- Herbal Can Prevent Miscarriage And Poisoning
- Historical Uses of Burdock Root
- Aloe Vera Benefits
- Traditional Chinese Medicine Prevent Pneumonia
Best of tcmwell.com
Acne is a skin disease that frequently presents in adolescents as lesions or
Bath teas help maintain and improve healthy skin and hair, relieve pain and
Ingredients: nettle, birch, sage, oregano, Soap wort. Recommendations The bath
Chinese herbs have a long history of use in support of fertility . Records show
Yan Zhang, of Pharmanex BJ Clinical Pharmacology Center in Beijing, reported
Fenugreek is also an effective curative herb for this problem. A tablespoonful
- is it normal for the testes to hang in between a man's legs
- Is this a normal penis behavior?
- How to resolve constipation
- How can Healthy Weight Loss?
- How to treat gastric ulcer
- Gastric cancer patients to eat?
- How to care for patients with H1N1
- What is the reason for infertility
- Impotence causes
- Cause stomach pain reasons
- This is a urethral stones do?
- How treatment of stroke ?
- I do not know what the reason for feet of swollen?
- Irregular menstruation should be how Conditioning?
- Finger joint pain is not arthritis?
- Herbal Bath-Slavonic Bath
- Angelica Root
- Ginseng is used in thousands of formulas to provide the warmth and energy
- Health Benefits of Ashwagandha
- Herbal bath - Plain Oatstraw
- Herbal bath - Tranquillity
- PROCESSING OF HERBS FOR USE
- Herbal Remedies For Diabetes Mellitus
- Tablets Hypertension
- Cascara sagrada
- The Value of Herbs in the Treatment of Cancer
- Chinese herbs have a long history of use in aiding fertility
- Aloe Vera Benefits
- Clears Heat and Stops Bleeding–Rhizoma Imperatae (Bai Mao Gen)
- Precious Herb 'Tin Ma' Fights Depression