How do I choose an acupuncturist?
Tuesday, Aug 18,2009, 3:31:43 PM Click:
Acupuncture works! But your experience with acupuncture will depend largely on the acupuncture provider that you choose.
You want to find an acupuncturist that best suits your needs. If you like and trust your practitioner, your encounter with acupuncture will be more positive.
You will also want to know about the acupuncturists training and experience and what to expect from the acupuncture treatment. The clearer you are about who it is that is treating you and exactly what the treatment entails, the more you will be able to relax during the acupuncture session and benefit from this ancient form of health care.
Determine your goals
Do you have a specific injury or complaint or do you want to try acupuncture to balance body, mind and spirit? Are you looking for a primary health care practitioner, or someone to work in conjunction with your current physician?
Here are some questions that you should ask when choosing an acupuncturist.
Where was he or she trained to practice Oriental Medicine?
How long was the training?
How long has he or she been in practice as an acupuncturist?
What experience does he or she have in treating your specific ailment?
Is he or she licensed?
What Qualifications to look for when Choosing an Acupuncturist
Today acupuncture is an acknowledged and respected field of medicine. In most States, provinces and countries formal training and certification is required in order to practice.
The United States has set rigorous training standards for acupuncturists. Most states require a 3-5 year Masters degree in Oriental Medicine from an accredited acupuncture school and issue a written and practical state board exam before an acupuncturist can become licensed.
In the states that do not require licensing, choose an acupuncturist certified by the National Commission for the Certification of Acupuncturists. Its members have a degree in Oriental Medicine from an accredited school-or have worked as an apprentice acupuncturist for at least four years - and have passed both a written and practical exam. Acupuncturists who have passed this exam are entitled to add Dipl. Ac. (Diplomate of Acupuncture) or Dipl. O.M.. (Diplomate of Oriental Medicine) after their name.
Find out the laws and legislatures governing acupuncture in your state
See what the initials (credentials) after an acupuncturists name stand for
Acupuncture requirements for Western doctors are generally more lenient than for non-MD's. Choose a physician who also a licensed acupuncturist (L.Ac.). If there are none near you be sure that the M.D. or D.O. is a member of the American Academy of Medical Acupuncture; it requires a minimum of 200 hours of training for membership.
Veterinary acupuncture is considered a surgical procedure that, legally, may ONLY be performed by a licensed doctor of veterinary medicine.
Ask About Treatment Styles
Acupuncture and Herbology encompass several distinctive styles. Korean acupuncture, for example, primarily uses points on the hand, while Japanese acupuncture calls for fewer and finer needles inserted at shallower depths.
There is no evidence that one particular style is more effective than another, but you should know what you are getting into.
Discuss Length of Treatment
Decide in advance what your expectations are and discuss them with your acupuncturist. A chronic illness may need several months of acupuncture treatment to have a noticeable effect. If you are not happy with your progress, think about changing acupuncturists or check with your western doctor for advice about other options.
You may also be interested in:
Moxibustion originated from the Chinese ancient times, because of it of
From obesity are usually poor stomach function, digestion and absorption of
Acupuncture weight loss Does it hurt? Is it will be very hemp? Acupuncture
Maximize health, relieving pain. Your body is a dynamic and articulation of the
Acupuncture is more effective than medication in reducing the severity and
Acupuncture is more effective and long term (in the joint management of the
- Most Read
- Most Discussed
- Most Emailed
- Ear acupuncture
- The Primary Moxibustion Points
- Acupuncture treatment of freckles
- Acupuncture can be effective treatment for fatty liver
- What are ear seeds and ear tacks?
- What is Cupping Therapy
- Sometimes You Feel Worse Before You Get Better With Acupuncture
- Abdominal acupuncture needle techniques
- Acupuncture Safe Alternative To Inducing Labor
- Halo needle, is a rare adverse reaction to acupuncture
Best of tcmwell.com
As the temperature dropped, the number of people in the cold increased
Parallel needling the lateral line III front This way of needling is named as
Acupuncture can help relieve menstrual pain and improve the quality of life for
According to Statistics Canada, injury due to sport and recreational
Parallel needling the lateral line of the front II This way of needling is
Though acupuncture and moxibustion are frequently used together to treat
- is it normal for the testes to hang in between a man's legs
- Is this a normal penis behavior?
- How to resolve constipation
- How can Healthy Weight Loss?
- How to treat gastric ulcer
- Gastric cancer patients to eat?
- How to care for patients with H1N1
- What is the reason for infertility
- Impotence causes
- Cause stomach pain reasons
- This is a urethral stones do?
- How treatment of stroke ?
- I do not know what the reason for feet of swollen?
- Irregular menstruation should be how Conditioning?
- Finger joint pain is not arthritis?
- Acupuncture Treatment of Migraine
- Moxibustion In Traditional Medicine
- The Therapeutic Basis Of Acupuncture
- How to Lose the Weight and Keep It Off with Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine
- Acupuncture safe?
- Moxibustion treatment of cold
- Diuretic Chinese Medicine Found to Limit Tumour Growth
- TCM Weight Loss
- Try Acupuncture 5 Great Reasons
- Acupuncture is very safe
- Acupuncture, Cool Night Hot Flashes
- Expert Treats Acupuncture And Moxibustion
- Moxibustion effective rule of law in fatty liver
- Moxibustion therapy, you know it?
- Acupuncture Relieves Menstrual Pain