Acupuncture,Ease Postoperative Nausea and Vomiting
The most commonly stated fear of patients prior to elective surgery is not death or a surgical mishap. It's post-operative nausea and vomiting (PONV), and 25 to 40 percent of surgical patients are at risk. Defined as any episode of nausea, retching or vomiting in the 24 hours immediately following an operation.
Acupuncture has been cited by the World Health Organization to treat over 43 conditions effectively by increasing the circulation of blood and lymphatic fluids, reducing muscular tension, and alleviating pain through the release of endorphins. By keeping the body balanced, acupuncture can both restore and maintain health.
In several recent studies, Acupuncture has been proven to lessen PONV symptoms. A trial in 2004 was done to look at the effectiveness of acupuncture in 220 women undergoing gynecological or breast surgeries. The patients who received acupuncture showed a significant decrease in the incidence of PONV. Another study conducted by Duke University Medical Center on breast surgery patients found positive results in the use of Acupuncture to prevent occurrences of post-operative nausea and vomiting. It also stated that Acupuncture increased general patient satisfaction post-op.
According to this study, 70 percent of women who undergo major breast surgery that requires general anesthesia experience PONV, making breast surgery the leading cause of nausea/vomiting post-op. However, 77 percent of the women who were treated with acupuncture suffered no PONV, nor did they require antiemetic drugs (anti-vomiting medication). The women who received acupoint stimulation also had less post-surgical pain.
You may also be interested in:
Examination and syndrome differentiation of meridians The theory of meridians
Osteoporosis is a common disease of the elderly . Among postmenopausal
If you want to pay attention , here we take a look at seven major
Moxibustion originated from the Chinese ancient times, because of it of
From obesity are usually poor stomach function, digestion and absorption of
Acupuncture weight loss Does it hurt? Is it will be very hemp? Acupuncture
- Most Read
- Most Discussed
- Most Emailed
- Ear acupuncture
- The Primary Moxibustion Points
- Acupuncture treatment of freckles
- Acupuncture can be effective treatment for fatty liver
- What are ear seeds and ear tacks?
- What is Cupping Therapy
- Sometimes You Feel Worse Before You Get Better With Acupuncture
- Abdominal acupuncture needle techniques
- Acupuncture Safe Alternative To Inducing Labor
- Halo needle, is a rare adverse reaction to acupuncture
Best of tcmwell.com
Parallel needling the lateral line III front This way of needling is named as
Parallel needling of the superolateral liParallel needling the superolateral
In general, acupuncture is safe when done by a certified acupuncturist . A
Acupuncture can help relieve menstrual pain and improve the quality of life for
As the temperature dropped, the number of people in the cold increased
Parallel needling the lateral line of the front II This way of needling is
- is it normal for the testes to hang in between a man's legs
- Is this a normal penis behavior?
- How to resolve constipation
- How can Healthy Weight Loss?
- How to treat gastric ulcer
- Gastric cancer patients to eat?
- How to care for patients with H1N1
- What is the reason for infertility
- Impotence causes
- Cause stomach pain reasons
- This is a urethral stones do?
- How treatment of stroke ?
- I do not know what the reason for feet of swollen?
- Irregular menstruation should be how Conditioning?
- Finger joint pain is not arthritis?
- Acupuncture is very safe
- Try Acupuncture 5 Great Reasons
- Seven points for attention during the acupuncture and moxibustion
- Acupressure is an ancient art of healing
- Acupuncture is a safe and effective treatment for depression
- Massage the soles of the feet can cure all diseases
- Diuretic Chinese Medicine Found to Limit Tumour Growth
- How do I choose an acupuncturist
- Parallel inferolateral needling the line of occiput
- Parallel needling the lateral line of the front II
- draft traditional chinese acupuncture
- Traditional Chinese Medicine: What is Acupuncture?
- How does acupuncture work?
- Moxibustion effective rule of law in fatty liver
- The Therapeutic Basis Of Acupuncture