Snoring during pregnancy, may mean that diabetes
Tuesday, Sep 15,2009, 3:24:46 PM Click:
According to researchers, women who reported frequent snoring during their pregnancy were more likely to develop gestational diabetes, a condition than can cause health problems for the mother and baby. The study also found pregnancy increases the likelihood that a woman will snore.
The researchers report this is the first study to report a link between snoring and gestational diabetes.
Snoring During Pregnancy Could Increase Gestational Diabetes Risk
Gestational diabetes risk higher in moms-to-be who snore, study finds
Pregnant women who snore regularly are more likely to develop gestational diabetes, new research has found.
In the study, 189 healthy women completed a sleep survey when they were between six and 20 weeks pregnant, and again in their third trimester.
The researchers found that pregnant women who were frequent snorers -- defined as snoring at least three nights per week -- had a 14.3 percent chance of developing gestational diabetes, but among women who did not snore the risk was 3.3 percent.
Taking into account other factors that could increase the risk of gestational diabetes -- body-mass index, age, race and ethnicity -- the researchers found that there was still an association between frequent snoring and the disease, according to a news release from Northwestern University.
"Sleep disturbances during pregnancy may negatively affect your cardiovascular system or metabolism," study author Dr. Francesca Facco said in the news release. Facco will soon be joining the Feinberg School of Medicine at Northwestern University as an assistant professor of obstetrics and gynecology and as a maternal and fetal medicine physician at Northwestern Memorial Hospital.
"Snoring may be a sign of poor air flow and diminished oxygenation during sleep that can cause a cascade of events in your body," said Facco. "This may activate your sympathetic nervous system, so your blood pressure rises at night. This can also provoke inflammatory and metabolic changes, increasing the risk of diabetes or poor sugar tolerance."
The study also showed more women became frequent snorers as their pregnancies progressed. Early in pregnancy, 11 percent of women in the study reported frequent snoring; by the third trimester, the number rose to 16.5 percent. Frequent snoring was defined as snoring three or more nights a week.
Facco said snoring during pregnancy may be triggered by weight gain and edema (a buildup of fluid), which can increase airway resistance. Exactly how the snoring is linked to gestational diabetes is not yet known.
About 4 percent of pregnant women develop gestational diabetes, a condition in which women without previously diagnosed diabetes develop high blood sugar levels during pregnancy. Babies born to mothers with gestational diabetes are at increased risk of problems such as being large for gestational age, which may lead to delivery complications. These babies may also have low blood sugar levels and are at increased risk of becoming obese or developing impaired sugar tolerance or metabolic syndrome later in life.
While gestational diabetes usually resolves after pregnancy, women who develop it are at higher risk for type 2 diabetes later in life.
Facco said further studies are needed to understand the association between snoring and gestational diabetes and to develop interventions to treat sleep disorders during pregnancy.
You may also be interested in:
French and U.S. scientists recently discovered that broccoli is not only rich
Tuberculosis, also known as tuberculosis, young people prone to a chronic
Appendicitis commonly known as appendicitis. Cecal appendix is near the head of
As the causes of acute appendicitis in children is not clear, in order to avoid
Insomnia is the inability of normal sleep, described the results obtained from
Colds are viruses diseases infected the upper respiratory tract and cold and
- Most Read
- Most Discussed
- Most Emailed
- Dietary treatment of chronic antral gastritis
- How to treat hepatic cysts
- Tuberculosis, pneumonia, lung cancer, how to distinguish
- How do I care after appendectomy
- Gastroptosis Symptoms
- Pyelonephritis diet and nursing
- The symptoms of gastric mucosa prolapse
- Chinese medicine treatment "white hair"
- The symptoms of chronic antral gastritis
- Modern treatment of chronic gastritis
Best of tcmwell.com
Main symptoms and signs chronic diarrhea without recovery, or dawn diarrhea,
Traditional Chinese medical science is an important part of Chinese culture.
Unexplained leukemia is a malignant disease of the blood system. Characterized
The slow progress of the disease is often recurrent, a good, middle-aged
The internal causes more emotional changes, poor diet Related Information The
Non-specific symptoms of chronic gastritis, little signs, X-ray examination
- is it normal for the testes to hang in between a man's legs
- Is this a normal penis behavior?
- How to resolve constipation
- How can Healthy Weight Loss?
- How to treat gastric ulcer
- Gastric cancer patients to eat?
- How to care for patients with H1N1
- What is the reason for infertility
- Impotence causes
- Cause stomach pain reasons
- This is a urethral stones do?
- How treatment of stroke ?
- I do not know what the reason for feet of swollen?
- Irregular menstruation should be how Conditioning?
- Finger joint pain is not arthritis?
- Spinal Arthritis
- Understanding of the causes of hyperlipidemia
- Unexplained leukemia is a malignant disease
- Insomnia is the inability of normal sleep
- The prevention of chronic gastritis
- chronic gastritis of Clinical manifestations
- Abnormal semen disease
- Bronchial asthma (asthma for short) is an attack of chest tightness, coughing
- Habitual abortion refers to pregnancy for women or 2 times 2 times more than those of spontaneous ab
- Colds are viruses diseases infected the upper respiratory tract
- egg increases the risk of developing diabetes
- Modern Chinese medicine treatment for infertility
- American Ginseng Reduces Blood Sugar
- Modern treatment of chronic gastritis
- Chronic nephritis is a common and intractable of chronic kidney disease