Shigellosis is an infectious disease caused by a group of bacteria called Shigella
Monday, Jun 21,2010, 2:32:35 PM Click:
As with any condition associated with diarrhea, Shigellosis major concern, especially for children and seniors, dehydration. This happens if the body loses more fluids to and salt (electrolytes) than it takes into Signs of dehydration include a decrease in the production of urine, extreme thirst, dry mouth and drowsiness unusual. Severe dehydration is a medical emergency and requires immediate care. Fluids can be special oral rehydration may be purchased at drugstores. You should ask your pediatrician what is best for the child's case. If you have any concerns about dehydration, contact your doctor at once. It is also important to call your doctor if fever or vomiting long.
Most are infected with Shigella develop diarrhea, fever and stomach Ages starting at day or two after they are exposed to the bacteria. The diarrhea is often bloody. Shigellosis usually clears up in 5 to 7 days. In some people, especially young children and the elderly, the diarrhea can be so severe that the patient must be in the hospital. Severe infection can be high fever associated with seizures also in relation to children less than 2 years old. Some people who are infected may have no symptoms at all, but can still pass the Shigella bacteria to others. Infections may in the digestive tract with Shigella stimulate reactive arthritis, a condition that can cause inflammation in the articles, and sometimes the eyes and / or from the Genito-Urinary tract.
There are different types of Shigella bacteria:
* Shigella sonnei, known as "group D" Shigella, accounts for more than two-thirds of the shigellosis in the United States.
Shigella flexneri * or group "B" Shigella, accounts for virtually all of the rest.
Other types of Shigella are rare in this country, although they continue to be important causes of disease in the developing world. One type is available in the developing world are caused, Shigella dysenteriae type 1, deadly epidemics.
When someone has had shigellosis, they are not likely to get infected with that specific type again for at least several years. However, they can still get infected with other types of Shigella.
Each year, about 18 000 reported cases of shigellosis in the United States. As there are many milder cases diagnosed or reported, the actual number of infections to twenty times more.
pass the Shigella bacteria from one infected person to the next. Shigella are present in the diarrheal stools of infected persons who are ill and for a week or two later. Most Shigella infections as a result of the bacterium passing from stools or soiled fingers of one person to the mouth of another person. This happens when basic hand hygiene and inadequate washing procedures. It is likely to occur among young children are not fully toilet-trained. There are family members and playmates of these children a high risk of being infected.
Shigella infections may be acquired from eating contaminated food. Corruption can look and smell normal food. Food may be contaminated by food handlers infected not wash their hands with soap after using the bathroom. The vegetables can be contaminated if they are harvested from a field with sewage in it. Flies can race in infected feces and then contaminate food. Shigella infections can be acquired also by drinking or swimming in contaminated water. Water could be contaminated if sewage runs into it, or if someone with shigellosis can swim.
You may also be interested in:
French and U.S. scientists recently discovered that broccoli is not only rich
Tuberculosis, also known as tuberculosis, young people prone to a chronic
Appendicitis commonly known as appendicitis. Cecal appendix is near the head of
As the causes of acute appendicitis in children is not clear, in order to avoid
Insomnia is the inability of normal sleep, described the results obtained from
Colds are viruses diseases infected the upper respiratory tract and cold and
- Most Read
- Most Discussed
- Most Emailed
- Dietary treatment of chronic antral gastritis
- How to treat hepatic cysts
- Tuberculosis, pneumonia, lung cancer, how to distinguish
- How do I care after appendectomy
- Gastroptosis Symptoms
- Pyelonephritis diet and nursing
- The symptoms of gastric mucosa prolapse
- Chinese medicine treatment "white hair"
- The symptoms of chronic antral gastritis
- Modern treatment of chronic gastritis
Best of tcmwell.com
The human body is composed of more than 200 bones of different shapes and
Unexplained leukemia is a malignant disease of the blood system. Characterized
Non-specific symptoms of chronic gastritis, little signs, X-ray examination
(A) the principal is to increase the body resistance training can change the
Lung abscess, visual observation Here are two lung abscess, one in the left
Abnormal semen disease, refers to semen sperm count, viability, vitality,
- is it normal for the testes to hang in between a man's legs
- Is this a normal penis behavior?
- How to resolve constipation
- How can Healthy Weight Loss?
- How to treat gastric ulcer
- Gastric cancer patients to eat?
- How to care for patients with H1N1
- What is the reason for infertility
- Impotence causes
- Cause stomach pain reasons
- This is a urethral stones do?
- How treatment of stroke ?
- I do not know what the reason for feet of swollen?
- Irregular menstruation should be how Conditioning?
- Finger joint pain is not arthritis?
- History of Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Classification and characteristics of diseases of the Interi
- Diarrhea Due To Yang Deficiency Of The Spleen And Kidney
- New Study Of Prescription
- Young people how to prevent tuberculosis?
- The human body is composed of more than 200 bones of different shapes and sizes
- Snoring during pregnancy, may mean that diabetes
- Traditional Chinese Medicine coughing Research
- The prevention of chronic gastritis
- Pulmonary abscess
- Chamomile Tea May Help Prevent of Diabetes
- Primary liver cancer
- Bronchial asthma (asthma for short) is an attack of chest tightness, coughing
- Understanding of the causes of hyperlipidemia
- Insomnia is the inability of normal sleep