Pulmonary embolism is a life threatening situation
PE is a life threatening situation. If you have any of the warning signs, it is imperative that you get medical attention right away. The American Medical Association lists the warnings signs as:
* breathless feelings that come on without explanation and suddenly
* rapid pulse
* a feeling of dizziness or lightheadedness
* chest pains when you inhale
* coughing up blood or blood-stained phlegm
Once again, these signs could indicate a life threatening situation and you should seek medical care right away.
The main risk factor of course is having a clot somewhere. Clots are usually the result of some other disease condition, such as thrombophilia. Many PE's are the result of a clot breaking loose from an area of recent surgery. patients undergoing various types of surgery - including general, orthopedic and gynecological-obstetrical - are at higher risk for developing deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and PE. Of these groups, orthopedic patients appear to be especially prone to thrombosis, particularly patients with hip fracture. Patients with various types of medical diseases, including cancer and certain chronic diseases, are also at high risk.
Pregnant women also have an increased chance of developing DVT, which is a clot in the veins, usually of the leg. If those clots move to the lungs, it results in a PE. Inactivity such as prolonged bed rest or travel (such as a trans-oceanic flight) that leaves you not moving for an extended period of time can cause clots to form as well. An injury to your leg or your pelvis also increases your risk.
People who survive a pulmonary embolism are at higher risk of developing another one. This may increase their risk of developing another dangerous condition called pulmonary hypertension.
Staying healthy is important. Following all the rules for a healthy heart is a good first start. Regular exercise will help to keep your blood flowing smoothly. If you must take a long trip, make sure you get up and move around whenever possible. Pregnant women should discuss the situation with their doctors and be aggressive in seeking treatment for any potential problems. The National Cancer Institute has also identified tamoxifen and hormonal replace therapy as possible risk factors for PE.
You may also be interested in:
French and U.S. scientists recently discovered that broccoli is not only rich
Tuberculosis, also known as tuberculosis, young people prone to a chronic
Appendicitis commonly known as appendicitis. Cecal appendix is near the head of
As the causes of acute appendicitis in children is not clear, in order to avoid
Insomnia is the inability of normal sleep, described the results obtained from
Colds are viruses diseases infected the upper respiratory tract and cold and
- Most Read
- Most Discussed
- Most Emailed
- Dietary treatment of chronic antral gastritis
- Tuberculosis, pneumonia, lung cancer, how to distinguish
- Gastroptosis Symptoms
- How to treat hepatic cysts
- The symptoms of gastric mucosa prolapse
- Pyelonephritis diet and nursing
- How do I care after appendectomy
- The symptoms of chronic antral gastritis
- Chinese medicine treatment "white hair"
- Modern treatment of chronic gastritis
Best of tcmwell.com
Traditional Chinese medical science is an important part of Chinese culture.
Habitual abortion refers to pregnancy for women or 2 times 2 times more than
Chronic nephritis is referred to as chronic glomerulonephritis, is a common and
Bronchial asthma (asthma for short) is an attack of chest tightness, coughing,
Primary liver cancer is a malignant tumor occurred in the liver. China's annual
Exogenous cough in acute upper respiratory tract infection, acute bronchitis
- is it normal for the testes to hang in between a man's legs
- Is this a normal penis behavior?
- How to resolve constipation
- How can Healthy Weight Loss?
- How to treat gastric ulcer
- Gastric cancer patients to eat?
- How to care for patients with H1N1
- What is the reason for infertility
- Impotence causes
- Cause stomach pain reasons
- This is a urethral stones do?
- How treatment of stroke ?
- I do not know what the reason for feet of swollen?
- Irregular menstruation should be how Conditioning?
- Finger joint pain is not arthritis?
- American Ginseng Reduces Blood Sugar
- History of Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Classification and characteristics of diseases of the Interi
- Modern treatment of chronic gastritis
- Wild Garlic Plants May Treating High Blood Pressure
- Pulmonary abscess
- Bronchial asthma (asthma for short) is an attack of chest tightness, coughing
- Young people how to prevent tuberculosis?
- Traditional Chinese Medicine coughing Research
- Primary liver cancer
- Abnormal semen disease
- Snoring during pregnancy, may mean that diabetes
- Unexplained leukemia is a malignant disease
- Chamomile Tea May Help Prevent of Diabetes
- Modern Chinese medicine treatment for infertility