Coronary bypass surgery is also known as Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery and Coronary Artery Bypass G
Coronary bypass surgery is also known as Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery and Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (CABG). In this procedure, blood is rerouted around clogged arteries to improve blood flow and oxygen to the heart.
During the surgery, a piece of healthy vein is taken from somewhere else in the body - for example the leg, the chest or the wrist - and it is then attached to the heart artery above and below the narrowed area. This creates a "bypass" around the blockage.
In many cases, besides fixing the artery that is blocked, the surgeon will fix additional arteries on the heart that are starting to look blocked because of coronary heart disease. The number of arteries repaired becomes the name of the procedure. For example, if the surgeon repairs three of the arteries, it is called a triple bypass. If four arteries are repaired, it's a quadruple bypass.
Bypass is considered major surgery. It is done under general anesthesia. For some patients, minimally-invasive robotic-assisted bypass surgery is an option. bypass can be the preferred procedure for some patients, for example someone with severe angina or chest pain. It may also be appropriate for someone who's already had angioplasty and the angioplasty either hasn't been successful or the blockage has returned. Bypass may also be used if the blockage can't be reached by angioplasty.
Sometimes, more than one bypass operation is needed. A bypass also can close again. This happens in more than 10 percent of bypass surgeries, usually after 10 or more years. As with any surgery, there are risks and benefits that you should discuss with your doctor.
Bypass can fix a blocked artery, but it is not a cure for the underlying disease that caused it, such as atherosclerosis. Lifestyle changes that are still important after a bypass include:
* stop smoking
* switch to a low fat diet
* avoid saturated fats
* maintain desirable cholesterol and blood pressure levels
* lose weight if needed
Medications are also routinely given after heart surgery to keep your blood cholesterol at a desirable level, to reduce your risk of developing a blood clot and to help your heart function as well as possible.
You may also be interested in:
French and U.S. scientists recently discovered that broccoli is not only rich
Tuberculosis, also known as tuberculosis, young people prone to a chronic
Appendicitis commonly known as appendicitis. Cecal appendix is near the head of
As the causes of acute appendicitis in children is not clear, in order to avoid
Insomnia is the inability of normal sleep, described the results obtained from
Colds are viruses diseases infected the upper respiratory tract and cold and
- Most Read
- Most Discussed
- Most Emailed
- Dietary treatment of chronic antral gastritis
- Tuberculosis, pneumonia, lung cancer, how to distinguish
- How to treat hepatic cysts
- Gastroptosis Symptoms
- Pyelonephritis diet and nursing
- The symptoms of gastric mucosa prolapse
- How do I care after appendectomy
- The symptoms of chronic antral gastritis
- Chinese medicine treatment "white hair"
- Modern treatment of chronic gastritis
Best of tcmwell.com
1 , Candida infection is the most common symptom is vaginal discharge , itching
Non-specific symptoms of chronic gastritis, little signs, X-ray examination
Understanding of the causes of high blood lipids Called diseases of modern
Chinese medicine has long been awareness of the disease, in the "Huang Di Nei
Main symptoms and signs chronic diarrhea without recovery, or dawn diarrhea,
The majority of patients are most concerned about the treatment of chronic
- is it normal for the testes to hang in between a man's legs
- Is this a normal penis behavior?
- How to resolve constipation
- How can Healthy Weight Loss?
- How to treat gastric ulcer
- Gastric cancer patients to eat?
- How to care for patients with H1N1
- What is the reason for infertility
- Impotence causes
- Cause stomach pain reasons
- This is a urethral stones do?
- How treatment of stroke ?
- I do not know what the reason for feet of swollen?
- Irregular menstruation should be how Conditioning?
- Finger joint pain is not arthritis?
- Habitual abortion refers to pregnancy for women or 2 times 2 times more than those of spontaneous ab
- History of Traditional Chinese Medicine
- How to prevent childhood appendicitis?
- Modern Chinese medicine treatment for infertility
- chronic gastritis of Clinical manifestations
- The human body is composed of more than 200 bones of different shapes and sizes
- Diagnostic criteria for fungal vaginitis
- Gastric cancer is a common malignant tumor of digestive tract
- Chronic nephritis is a common and intractable of chronic kidney disease
- egg increases the risk of developing diabetes
- Snoring during pregnancy, may mean that diabetes
- Spinal Arthritis
- The Ethnic Uniqueness Of China's Tibetan Medicine
- Traditional Chinese Medicine coughing Research
- Colds are viruses diseases infected the upper respiratory tract