Coronary bypass surgery is also known as Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery and Coronary Artery Bypass G
Coronary bypass surgery is also known as Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery and Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (CABG). In this procedure, blood is rerouted around clogged arteries to improve blood flow and oxygen to the heart.
During the surgery, a piece of healthy vein is taken from somewhere else in the body - for example the leg, the chest or the wrist - and it is then attached to the heart artery above and below the narrowed area. This creates a "bypass" around the blockage.
In many cases, besides fixing the artery that is blocked, the surgeon will fix additional arteries on the heart that are starting to look blocked because of coronary heart disease. The number of arteries repaired becomes the name of the procedure. For example, if the surgeon repairs three of the arteries, it is called a triple bypass. If four arteries are repaired, it's a quadruple bypass.
Bypass is considered major surgery. It is done under general anesthesia. For some patients, minimally-invasive robotic-assisted bypass surgery is an option. bypass can be the preferred procedure for some patients, for example someone with severe angina or chest pain. It may also be appropriate for someone who's already had angioplasty and the angioplasty either hasn't been successful or the blockage has returned. Bypass may also be used if the blockage can't be reached by angioplasty.
Sometimes, more than one bypass operation is needed. A bypass also can close again. This happens in more than 10 percent of bypass surgeries, usually after 10 or more years. As with any surgery, there are risks and benefits that you should discuss with your doctor.
Bypass can fix a blocked artery, but it is not a cure for the underlying disease that caused it, such as atherosclerosis. Lifestyle changes that are still important after a bypass include:
* stop smoking
* switch to a low fat diet
* avoid saturated fats
* maintain desirable cholesterol and blood pressure levels
* lose weight if needed
Medications are also routinely given after heart surgery to keep your blood cholesterol at a desirable level, to reduce your risk of developing a blood clot and to help your heart function as well as possible.
You may also be interested in:
French and U.S. scientists recently discovered that broccoli is not only rich
Tuberculosis, also known as tuberculosis, young people prone to a chronic
Appendicitis commonly known as appendicitis. Cecal appendix is near the head of
As the causes of acute appendicitis in children is not clear, in order to avoid
Insomnia is the inability of normal sleep, described the results obtained from
Colds are viruses diseases infected the upper respiratory tract and cold and
- Most Read
- Most Discussed
- Most Emailed
- Dietary treatment of chronic antral gastritis
- How to treat hepatic cysts
- Tuberculosis, pneumonia, lung cancer, how to distinguish
- Gastroptosis Symptoms
- Pyelonephritis diet and nursing
- How do I care after appendectomy
- The symptoms of gastric mucosa prolapse
- Chinese medicine treatment "white hair"
- The symptoms of chronic antral gastritis
- Modern treatment of chronic gastritis
Best of tcmwell.com
Primary liver cancer is a malignant tumor occurred in the liver. China's annual
The study, entitled ACE Inhibitor Activity of Nutritive Plants in Kwa-Zulu
However, Tibetan color inspection is also one that has ethnic uniqueness. For
Where women of child-bearing age, married couples living together for more than
Main symptoms and signs chronic diarrhea without recovery, or dawn diarrhea,
Traditional Chinese medical science is an important part of Chinese culture.
- is it normal for the testes to hang in between a man's legs
- Is this a normal penis behavior?
- How to resolve constipation
- How can Healthy Weight Loss?
- How to treat gastric ulcer
- Gastric cancer patients to eat?
- How to care for patients with H1N1
- What is the reason for infertility
- Impotence causes
- Cause stomach pain reasons
- This is a urethral stones do?
- How treatment of stroke ?
- I do not know what the reason for feet of swollen?
- Irregular menstruation should be how Conditioning?
- Finger joint pain is not arthritis?
- Unexplained leukemia is a malignant disease
- Spinal Arthritis
- Primary liver cancer
- Young people how to prevent tuberculosis?
- Broccoli prevent stomach cancer
- New Study Of Prescription
- Appendicitis in children the disease the reasons
- Diagnostic criteria for fungal vaginitis
- Snoring during pregnancy, may mean that diabetes
- Abnormal semen disease
- Urinary stone disease is a general term urinary tract lithiasis
- chronic gastritis The diagnosis
- How to prevent childhood appendicitis?
- chronic gastritis of Clinical manifestations
- Chronic nephritis is a common and intractable of chronic kidney disease