Reflexology and Asthma
The frequency and severity of asthma symptoms varies markedly from one person to another. A typical attack, which often occurs at night, begins with coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath, but in some individuals a dry cough may be the only symptom. Even without treatment, attacks usually subside after a few hours, with a change to a moist cough that brings up large amounts of mucus. Attacks may recur in hours or days, or may be absent for months or even years. Status asthmaticus, a prolonged attack that persists despite treatment with drugs, is a particularly severe and sometimes fatal form of the disease, and usually requires hospitalization. Some children with asthma stop having attacks when they reach adulthood. In 2002 it was discovered that the gene ADAM33, which is present in about 40 per cent of sufferers, plays a crucial role in making the airways of the lungs highly sensitive, thus increasing the risk of asthma.
Asthma is a respiratory disease in which spasm and constriction of the bronchial passages and swelling of their mucous lining cause obstruction of breathing, often due to allergy, particularly to dust, animal fur or feathers, moulds, and pollen. Many people with allergic asthma, also called atopic or extrinsic asthma, also suffer from hay fever. Asthma in adults is less likely to be caused by allergy, and more likely to be associated with respiratory infections and emotional upsets. Non-allergic asthma is called intrinsic asthma.
Asthma attacks can be treated or prevented by a variety of drugs. Inhalation of bronchodilator drugs, such as albuterol or terbutaline, is the usual treatment, and can bring relief within minutes. Severe attacks that do not respond to these drugs may require treatment with corticosteroids. Drugs that can prevent asthma symptoms include theophylline, which is usually taken in tablets, and cromolyn sodium, which is inhaled.
A reflexology treatment can aid the breathing process generally by stimulating all organs in the respiratory system. The deep relaxation effect of reflexology is also important in relation to asthma as this can help reduce anxiety, which often impairs effective intake of oxygen.
A qualified holistic practitioner looks at the whole person, not specifically the disease. A Reflexologist can aid asthma, by enabling the person to breathe more easily and freely, and preventing tension in the diaphragm area. Most asthmatics have problems because of excess mucus, which could become a breeding ground bacteria. Asthmatics and people with breathing problems need to be aware of the foods that can aggravate the problem. Excessive consumption of dairy products such as milk, cheese, butter and chocolate all increase mucus levels. Smoking and drinking alcohol, particularly at night, irritates the mucus membrane lining of the epiglottis, making the tissues swell at the laryngeal entrance, which may impair the airflow to and from the lungs, again diminishing the amount of oxygen taken in.
Expert have found Reflexology particularly useful in easing attacks of wheazing associated with stressful situations. Working on the solar plexus and the lung reflexes has proved to be particularly helpful for my son when he has had a mild attack and his inhaler hasn't been available. Obviously it is important to be aware of the limitations of using Reflexology in an emergency situation. However, a course of regular treatment may well lead to a reduction in symptoms.
You may also be interested in:
Chinese description of the tree in disease. Conditions so that the patient's
TCM Diagnosis The human body is an organic whole, local pathological changes
The disease is clinically divided into the five syndromes of deficiency of qi
Nasal obstruction with whitish and thick nasal dis-charge, hyposmia, or
Berberine, a bitter-tasting yellow chemical found in some roots and barks, has
Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic, consumptive and recurrent autoimmune
- Most Read
- Most Discussed
- Most Emailed
- Fracture-Nursing Management
- Could Premature Babies Face Problems Later in Life?
- Diarrhea and fever patients should not eat eggs
- Gout can cause diarrhea?
- Aplastic Anemia Medical Management
- Acute and chronic lymphadenitis
- Tuberculosis of cervical lymph nodes
- Acupressure Points For Pain Relief In Labour-Hand Point
- Acupuncture Treatments Hemorrhoids
- Cold Vomiting Syndrome Symptoms are vomiting after overeating
Best of tcmwell.com
Combining two different types of treatment for migraine results in better
Ulcerative colitis is an inflammatory disease of the colon of unknown causes
Asbestos lung cancer is a group of diseases related to asbestos exposure .
Excessive burping, belching, acid reflux, abdominal bloating and embarrassing
Dear women, if you sleep on a problem, for example, take a long time still
Therapies such as acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine can be crucial tools
- is it normal for the testes to hang in between a man's legs
- Is this a normal penis behavior?
- How to resolve constipation
- How can Healthy Weight Loss?
- How to treat gastric ulcer
- Gastric cancer patients to eat?
- How to care for patients with H1N1
- What is the reason for infertility
- Impotence causes
- Cause stomach pain reasons
- This is a urethral stones do?
- How treatment of stroke ?
- I do not know what the reason for feet of swollen?
- Irregular menstruation should be how Conditioning?
- Finger joint pain is not arthritis?
- BACK PAIN Acupuncture treatment
- Teens With Migraine At Greater Risk Of Suicide
- Dietary Therapy of oral ulcer
- Traditional Chinese medicine treatment methods
- Digestive Problems: TCM Tells You
- Chinese red yeast rice promotes bone formation
- How to Understand High Blood Pressure
- What causes osteoarthritis?
- Herbal Remedies for Psoriasis
- Medlar magical effect reducing weight
- The Chinese herbs to regulate blood work
- Youth and health is that each of us wants to have
- Acupressure Points For Pain Relief In Labour-Kunlun
- Acupuncture Reduces Pain In head And Neck Cancer Patients
- Chinese Medicine Treatment Constipation Very Nice