Applying an External Catheter
1. Use Standard Protocol.
2. Assist client to supine position, covering upper torso and lower extremities.
3. Prepare urinary drainage system.
Clamp drainage exit port
Secure bag to bed frame with tubing between bed and side rails
4. Wash, rinse, and dry penis thoroughly with warm soapy water.
5. Clip hair at base of penis if necessary.
6. Apply skin preparation to penis and allow to dry.
7. Apply self-adhesive external catheter:
Pinch catheter closed and place against glans so that tip protrudes ¼-inch into opening.
Unroll catheter up shaft of penis.
Discard plastic collar.
Gently squeeze catheter to adhere sheath to skin.
8. Apply external catheter without adhesive:
Apply sheath to penis.
Allow 1 to 2 inches of space between tip of penis and end of catheter.
Encircle penis with strip of elastic adhesive kept only in contact with sheath.
9. Connect drainage tubing to end of catheter.
10. Secure tubing so that it is not twisted or looped.
To leg bag when ambulatory.
To larger bedside drainage bag at night.
11. Remove catheter for 30 minutes every 24 hours to cleanse and inspect skin.
12. Discard gloves and wash hands.
13. Use Completion Protocol.
1. Determine appropriateness.
2. Assess mental status of client and knowledge of treatment.
3. Assess condition of penis.
1. Observe urinary output every 4 hours.
2. Assess condition of skin and circulation to penis 1 hour after application, then every 4 hours.
3. Identify unexpected outcomes and intervene as necessary
You may also be interested in:
Diabetics prone to lethargy , mainly because of diabetic patients with
1 , upper abdominal pain : This is the most common symptoms of stomach cancer.
Chinese description of the tree in disease. Conditions so that the patient's
TCM Diagnosis The human body is an organic whole, local pathological changes
The disease is clinically divided into the five syndromes of deficiency of qi
Nasal obstruction with whitish and thick nasal dis-charge, hyposmia, or
- Most Read
- Most Discussed
- Most Emailed
- Fracture-Nursing Management
- Diarrhea and fever patients should not eat eggs
- Could Premature Babies Face Problems Later in Life?
- Gout can cause diarrhea?
- Aplastic Anemia Medical Management
- Acupressure Points For Pain Relief In Labour-Hand Point
- Acute and chronic lymphadenitis
- Tuberculosis of cervical lymph nodes
- Acupuncture Treatments Hemorrhoids
- Cold Vomiting Syndrome Symptoms are vomiting after overeating
Best of tcmwell.com
The most effective treatment for sleep apnea is a technique called nasal CPAP,
Hand, foot and mouth disease (Hand-foot-mouth disease, HFMD) is a kind of
The study was a double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial. 52 percent of
Infants with vomiting must be controlled on diet, and for those with frequent
Gout is the result of purine metabolic disorder caused by a disease, the
BACK PAIN Back pain can have many causes including osteoarthritis; muscle,
- is it normal for the testes to hang in between a man's legs
- Is this a normal penis behavior?
- How to resolve constipation
- How can Healthy Weight Loss?
- How to treat gastric ulcer
- Gastric cancer patients to eat?
- How to care for patients with H1N1
- What is the reason for infertility
- Impotence causes
- Cause stomach pain reasons
- This is a urethral stones do?
- How treatment of stroke ?
- I do not know what the reason for feet of swollen?
- Irregular menstruation should be how Conditioning?
- Finger joint pain is not arthritis?
- Reminder: after the disease had cervical how to do
- What causes osteoarthritis?
- Acupressure Points For Pain Relief In Labour-Jianjing
- Acupressure Points For Pain Relief In Labour-Kunlun
- Cause insomnia
- Medlar magical effect reducing weight
- Acupuncture and Glaucoma
- Diet and Exercise May Not Be Enough to Lose Weight
- Chinese medicine fights diabetes, obesity
- Herbal Therapies Can Help Boost Fertility
- The Chinese herbs to regulate blood work
- Polyethylene Glycol to Chronic Constipation
- New Study Says Women's Health Much More At Risk From Sleep Deprivation
- Syndrome Differentiation And treatment For Arrhythmia
- Vascular health of your life decisions