Applying an External Catheter
1. Use Standard Protocol.
2. Assist client to supine position, covering upper torso and lower extremities.
3. Prepare urinary drainage system.
Clamp drainage exit port
Secure bag to bed frame with tubing between bed and side rails
4. Wash, rinse, and dry penis thoroughly with warm soapy water.
5. Clip hair at base of penis if necessary.
6. Apply skin preparation to penis and allow to dry.
7. Apply self-adhesive external catheter:
Pinch catheter closed and place against glans so that tip protrudes ¼-inch into opening.
Unroll catheter up shaft of penis.
Discard plastic collar.
Gently squeeze catheter to adhere sheath to skin.
8. Apply external catheter without adhesive:
Apply sheath to penis.
Allow 1 to 2 inches of space between tip of penis and end of catheter.
Encircle penis with strip of elastic adhesive kept only in contact with sheath.
9. Connect drainage tubing to end of catheter.
10. Secure tubing so that it is not twisted or looped.
To leg bag when ambulatory.
To larger bedside drainage bag at night.
11. Remove catheter for 30 minutes every 24 hours to cleanse and inspect skin.
12. Discard gloves and wash hands.
13. Use Completion Protocol.
1. Determine appropriateness.
2. Assess mental status of client and knowledge of treatment.
3. Assess condition of penis.
1. Observe urinary output every 4 hours.
2. Assess condition of skin and circulation to penis 1 hour after application, then every 4 hours.
3. Identify unexpected outcomes and intervene as necessary
You may also be interested in:
Chinese description of the tree in disease. Conditions so that the patient's
TCM Diagnosis The human body is an organic whole, local pathological changes
The disease is clinically divided into the five syndromes of deficiency of qi
Nasal obstruction with whitish and thick nasal dis-charge, hyposmia, or
Berberine, a bitter-tasting yellow chemical found in some roots and barks, has
Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic, consumptive and recurrent autoimmune
- Most Read
- Most Discussed
- Most Emailed
- Fracture-Nursing Management
- Could Premature Babies Face Problems Later in Life?
- Diarrhea and fever patients should not eat eggs
- Gout can cause diarrhea?
- Aplastic Anemia Medical Management
- Acute and chronic lymphadenitis
- Tuberculosis of cervical lymph nodes
- Acupressure Points For Pain Relief In Labour-Hand Point
- Acupuncture Treatments Hemorrhoids
- Cold Vomiting Syndrome Symptoms are vomiting after overeating
Best of tcmwell.com
Bone defects were created in the parietal bones of two New Zealand white
Chinese herbal medicine has been used to treat millions of people with
People are afraid of cancer, a "cancer on the mere mention of" is, in fact,
(1), nipple discharge, especially bloody discharge, greater co-exist with
Acupressure Technique May this be used to sensations ranging from mild
The study was a double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial. 52 percent of
- is it normal for the testes to hang in between a man's legs
- Is this a normal penis behavior?
- How to resolve constipation
- How can Healthy Weight Loss?
- How to treat gastric ulcer
- Gastric cancer patients to eat?
- How to care for patients with H1N1
- What is the reason for infertility
- Impotence causes
- Cause stomach pain reasons
- This is a urethral stones do?
- How treatment of stroke ?
- I do not know what the reason for feet of swollen?
- Irregular menstruation should be how Conditioning?
- Finger joint pain is not arthritis?
- Dietary Therapy of oral ulcer
- Acupuncture Reduces Pain In head And Neck Cancer Patients
- Neck Pain Acupuncture
- Sleep Apnea Increases Risk Of Heart Attack Or Death By 30 Percent
- Hand, foot and mouth disease treatment guidelines
- Sleep Apnea May Increase Risk Of Diabetes
- New Study Says Women's Health Much More At Risk From Sleep Deprivation
- Cause insomnia
- Anorexia, namely aversion to food
- Traditional Chinese medicine treatment methods
- The Chinese herbs to regulate blood work
- How Chinese Medicine Diagnoses Depression
- Acupressure Points For Pain Relief In Labour-Jianjing
- Reminder: after the disease had cervical how to do
- Headaches and migraines Treatment